Monday, June 4, 2012

Do Your Best. Accept the Outcome.

I just worked really hard on a document.  I said exactly what I wanted to say.  The tone and feel was just right.  I was excited to send it.  But somehow, it disappeared from my screen.  I wrote with good effort, solid fundamentals, and hearty zeal.  But I didn't get the result I wanted or anticipated.  This happens in golf a LOT!  You work hard.  You pay attention to detail.  You execute the fundamentals the best you can. You care and put your full effort into it.  And the ball does not go where you want it to go. 

What do you do?

A. Break your club in half over your knee and walk off the golf course
B. Laugh because you think it's funny
C. Cry because you are so disappointed
D. Acknowledge your good effort and remain hopeful for the next shot

I have to admit that over the course of my life with golf, my reaction has often been a hybrid of A and C.  If B has occurred, it was with great sarcasm and if D resulted, it was because I had some idea of why the shot went bad. My challenge to you, is to be patient with yourself.  If you're a "hot head," throw your fit and get over it fast.  Try not to break clubs or offend your playing partners. If you tend to mock yourself and golf when things aren't going well, mutter a few good ones and move on.  If you're a weepy sort, get it out with a good cough - and make sure you have a little pack of kleenex in your bag.  All in all, I'd shoot for D.  Hang in there and keep working hard.  Enjoy your surroundings and the fact that you get to be out in the fresh air, and that most likely, you don't have to make a living playing golf.  :)

Fore you, Sue      





 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue,
    I've nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award. Details are on my latest post at http://connectingdotstogod.com/2012/06/07/blog-awards/
    Fore You!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete